I WARN YOU that in this picture I am painting of Diego there will be colors which even I am not fully acquainted with. Besides, I love Diego so much I cannot be an objective spectator of him or his life … I cannot speak of Diego as my husband because that term, when applied to him, is an absurdity. He never has been, nor will he ever be, anybody’s husband. I also cannot speak of him as my lover because to me, he transcends by far the domain of sex. And if I attempt to speak of him purely, as a soul, I shall only end up by painting my own emotions. Yet considering these obstacles of sentiment, I shall try to sketch his image to the best of my ability.
Growing up from his Asiatic-type head is his fine, thin hair, which somehow gives the impression that it is floating in air. He looks like an immense baby with an amiable but sad-looking face. His wide, dark, and intelligent bulging eyes appear to be barely held in place by his swollen eyelids. They protrude like the eyes of a frog, each separated from the other in a most extraordinary way. They thus seem to enlarge his field of vision beyond that of most persons. It is almost as if they were constructed exclusively for a painter of vast spaces and multitudes. The effect produced by these unusual eyes, situated so far away from each other, encourages one to speculate on the ages-old oriental knowledge contained behind them.
On rare occasions, an ironic yet tender smile appears on his Buddha-like lips. Seeing him in the nude, one is immediately reminded of a young boy-frog standing on his hind legs. His skin is greenish-white, very like that of an aquatic animal. The only dark parts of his whole body are his hands and face, and that is because they are sunburned. His shoulders are like a child’s, narrow and round. They progress without any visible hint of angles, their tapering rotundity making them seem almost feminine. The arms diminish regularly into small, sensitive hands … It is incredible to think that these hands have been capable of achieving such a prodigious number of paintings. Another wonder is that they can still work as indefatigably as they do.
Diego’s chest — of it we have to say, that had he landed on an island governed by Sappho, where male invaders were apt to be executed, Diego would never have been in danger. The sensitivity of his marvelous breasts would have insured his welcome, although his masculine virility, specific and strange, would have made him equally desired in the lands of these queens avidly hungering for masculine love.
His enormous belly, smooth, tightly drawn, and sphere-shaped, is supported by two strong legs which are as beautifully solid as classical columns. They end in feet which point outward at an obtuse angle, as if moulded for a stance wide enough to cover the entire earth.
He sleeps in a fetal position. In his waking hours, he walks with a languorous elegance as if accustomed to living in a liquefied medium. By his movements, one would think that he found air denser to wade through than water.
I suppose everyone expects me to give a very feminine report about him, full of derogatory gossip and indecent revelations. Perhaps it is expected that I should lament about how I have suffered living with a man like Diego. But I do not think that the banks of a river suffer because they let the river flow, nor does the earth suffer because of the rains, nor does the atom suffer for letting its energy escape. To my way of thinking, everything has its natural compensation."
Frida Kahlo (via fernsandmoss)
- keytothegame reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- surfing-the-bardo likes this
- textual-digressions reblogged this from lorenworsley
- vonkleist66 likes this
- kingsizecandybar reblogged this from men-in-full
- fatboyloverforever reblogged this from men-in-full
- chub-queer-art likes this
- wooberville reblogged this from men-in-full
- wooberville likes this
- cormacmcc likes this
- men-in-full reblogged this from lorenworsley
- men-in-full likes this
- ruefontaine likes this
- thelimetree likes this
- settledownboss likes this
- livefortheirsecrets likes this
- cwildflower likes this
- thisisanartproject likes this
- mayuko-san reblogged this from terramantra
- balsamic reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- fvck-vanity likes this
- galeriadelanise likes this
- astronomatheprincessofevil reblogged this from terramantra
- doggbreth likes this
- catharzzsizszz likes this
- howlet likes this
- refertore likes this
- eissacoi likes this
- caitlinah likes this
- heavyrosesandtheholymother reblogged this from motherearthsistermoon
- cuntgarden likes this
- heavyrosesandtheholymother likes this
- aaxees likes this
- egerialitha likes this
- motherearthsistermoon reblogged this from terramantra
- nearerthemoon likes this
- motherearthsistermoon likes this
- dreamfuzzin likes this
- diaphanousgleam likes this
- lorenworsley reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- lightgrenade likes this
- terramantra reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- yourbrainontoast reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- elinfiernoesdemasiadodulce likes this
- afuchsiaelephant likes this
- raspy-blackbird likes this
- dothestudge reblogged this from fernsandmoss
- ohcrackohcrack likes this
- unibrow2001 likes this
- visualandcritical likes this